Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Out for Blood...

Okay so honestly, I don't know what critics are understanding, but they are treating the entire movie Blood Diamond, even the conscience heavy message that the director, Edward Zwick, successfully presses on the audience, as fiction.

I watched the movie last night, the preview looked good, but what I saw was the Invisible Children message from a completely different standpoint. That of violence and immersion into the situation that nothing but the silver screen can produce.

And it provoked thoughts, as any movie pointing at real struggles does. My question is, Does this Hollywood treatment help or hurt the cause? They romanticize the struggle, give it heroes, but I'm unsure if it succeeded in motivating. There was so much more that could have been done I understand, but the message was clear: There are still over 200,000 child soldiers in Africa.

I believe that critics are reviewing the movie in the wrong ways. It's a big screen picture with a documentary message. And that message isn't making it to the public. The realities are harsh and the filmmaking and cinematography are never perfect, but the message is the important part. The message of the movie should be the focus, not the cinematography.

My only thought as I left the theatre was that I wanted to seriously injure anyone who said they didn't like the United States and didn't want to be here. Because they are a minority of the most priveledged people in the world, and if they don't want it, there are people that are literally dying to have that opportunity. If you don't like the freedom and the safety that our Nation has provided, then get out.

No comments: