Monday, June 26, 2006

Tokyo Drift?

Is it some special kind of drifting? Some sneaky, underhanded, drift through a rice paddy to take the lead move?

No, it's a movie... the 3rd installment of the Fast and the Furious series, and easily the best of the three.

One thing that made me happy about this movie, they rarely showed the speedometer, well relatively compared to the others, it didn't show the cars screaming along in 6th gear going 40 miles an hour like in the first 2 movies.

The main character was stronger, more likeable, the way a hero should be. Cocky but understanding his strengths, but once angered he was balls to the walls no matter if he could win or not.

And I left that movie with a smile. When I heard that he put a Nissan engine into the Mustang before I went and saw the movie, I was furious. It's part of the Stock Rocket Jockey that I am, no matter how much a car is modified, no matter how fast it is, I still want to see matching brand emblems on the body and the block.(I like saying "My Honda beat the crap out of your car." Not, "My Ford-Nissan beat the crap out of your car." It just breeds confusion.) But then, as I sit in the theatre, glued to the screen, and watch as they are just scrambling to get it working (though I prefer a good paint job, it wasn't necessary in the fix-up process of the fastback) I no longer harbored resentment, because in a similar situation, I would find myself alot more open to suggestion, you know?

And God be praised it had a storyline. Straight, simple, uncomplicated, and entertaining.

I'm finally ready to buy a Fast and the Furious movie.


So now I am re-enthused about automobiles. Wishing life were so simple I could move away and just live... minimum wage, month to month, and own my dreamcar. In the end I would be unhappy but for a long while I would be on cloud 9, living my dream.

But maybe in the future, maybe I'll be able to gain what I want in the years to come, only 3 years until I'm out of school. Than I could get a steady job, steady income, and I could buy a car and invest in it, making it steadily more awesome.

Dreams... how can those without them survive? How do people without aspiration or ambition survive?

When I think of myself and the people I consider friends (The Lima-Bean Rocketeer and Andy)
I think, I myself look to be without drive or ambition, because I don't put time or money into what I have, though what I am doing is biding my time, 3 years and I'll be making money, I can support myself.
Nick, what can you say about the boy, an automotive Genius, he has something that you can never learn - Pure, God-given talent. He can drive anything, I've seen it.
Andy. Andy has a good bit of natural talent, but what makes him stand out is his intelligence. When he drives he knows what he's doing because he has already thought out what needs to happen.

And me... I'm the sidekick. I'm the reliable friend. I'm the kid that is going to go big with them. Someday...

Because you know what? Racing on a track... lame. Just keep running the oval, keep steering around the cones... The rush doesn't exist there.

The night Nick chased down those kids in that Accord with a full car of people... that was the night that I knew that anything Nick wants to move - MOVES, and FAST.


Andy, Andy doesn't do driving that often, but Andy is the guy that steps into a car for the first time and knows enough about that car and what he needs to do... that it happens.

And I'm the one that give them rides. Awesome by association.

1 comment:

Whatafreak said...

Assuming that I do not live up to the nerd stereotype of living in my parents basement still at age 45, you will still be the inspiration that keeps me interested in cars, Brad. I have recently decided that I want to do a CRX right. Engine swap for sure, but haven't settled on a B16 or a B18 yet. Only thing is, I owe my parents $3K, I have $4K in debt, I have no job, and a 2 year degree from some microscopic college. Things aren't looking up my friend, at least for me. You need to start a company and then you can sponsor me as a driver.