Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Time for a Summer Reflection I Suppose:

So I move along in phases as most people who know me realize. I'll be big into computers, then games, then cars, then movies, then computers, then games, and so on and so on.

And right now is definitely not a computer phase, or a gaming phase (since I've only played about 1/2 hour of battlefront 2 since getting home). I read mostly I guess, watch a little TV, usually the Speed Channel or TLC when they have Overhaulin' or some such. I don't know it's just in my blood my Dad is into cars, but never really had the time or the money (as he was having to afford 3 children), and my brother is into cars (though in the older spectrum: American Muscle and Hot Rods), and even my sister is into cars, not that she likes to mechanic them or really work on them too much (though she enjoys tinkering with them now and again), and me well I like the newer ones... well newer than the 70's anyways.

And this age is hard for me, I'm not in an age where I have anywhere near the amount of time or money or experience to deal with cars as I've mentioned in blogs past, so I kind of watch with a tormented expression as I see good deal after good deal sweep past that long road of Life. There's so many cars I'd like to have, but it isn't the right time, if I had the car it would sit under a tarp behind my parents place, because there are other things I have to spend my money on: school, keeping fuel in my Integra, being able to visit Portland to visit Sarah and my other friends. Me owning another car would be an insult to that car, because there is no way my brother or my dad would go out there and waste time with my little sub-200 hp 4-banger, not when they have The Bird or Sheilah sitting around haha.

I have the money right now that I could get the B18C engine swap for NoTEC, or I could get a turbo and intercooler for the current B18B, or I could get a new exhaust system and a new intake, or I could just buy a 240SX in really good condition and leave it under a tarp at home, or find a nice CRX and leave that under the tarp. I have the money for the first step, but what's the point in taking that step when I can't progress for another 3 or 4 years?

My Integra runs good, it's clean, and is nicer than anything else I myself can afford at the moment, so I'm happy with it.

My dad is behind me 100% when I talk about getting a project car after I get out of college, he even suggested that I do the B18C swap for NoTEC when I get out of school, he thinks it would be a great idea, he likes the Nissan 240SX and the little CRX's and Honda hatchbacks (The EG and EK), he thinks that it would be a blast fixing one of those up.

And you know, from the way he's dived into The Bird, I think it'd be fun to get ahold of one when I get out of Fox. Like the CRX Andy used to have, that was a 1.5L and guess what? The Honda Fit is a 1.5L that most of the high performance car companies have jumped on and are making loads of bolt-ons for. You could replace that old CRX with a new Fit motor, it would require some work changing it over, but it would run strong.

So I wait, I just sit here, if a good enough deal ever came along, I would jump on it, but there hasn't been anything jaw-dropping for quite a while.

But to continue on with my reflection, this summer has been long and has been hard and depressing and hot. I've missed Portland, but it was good I came back. Got to see Nick and Andy graduate, got to make a chunk of change, it just turned out to be a good summer I guess.

The end is going to move pretty quickly though, in 6 days I'm on a plane to Fresno to spend a week with Nick and Andy, and then I have another week and a half of work, and then I'm driving back for another grueling year at Fox (and I say grueling because you'll understand when you see my schedule).

However, for now, I'm gonna go dink around, watch tv, read maybe, who knows. Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Whatafreak said...

Dude, it's 110 degrees outside right now. If you think Idaho is hot, you are in for a surprise when you get to Visalia, haha.

But I digress. I think you are just now starting to experience that which I have experienced for a long time. It really isn't the right time for any of us (Nick included) to be spending loads of money on a car when we have other, more significantly important, things to apply it to. I will get another CRX, I just don't know when that will happen.

On a more optimistic note, I would like to put a b16 into a CRX sometime. I think it would be fun, and those motors are dirt cheap compared to other swaps possible for that car. Plus, Nick ran across some CARB legal turbo kits. They only run at about 7 or 8 psi, but heck, thats 60-80 more HP than normal, so why not?

I saw you called me, I tried calling back about 2 minutes after you called but I must have missed you too. We will talk soon.

simplyhaskell said...

that was a compliment, you greedy tool.