Saturday, July 29, 2006

Last Leg of the Race...

So... what I was thinking...

actually not about cars this time, so I guess that'll be a little change of pace, a little excitement and all that.

I saw Miami Vice today, no real point to that movie... I mean there's not really much resolution and it starts in a random place and ends in a random place, but it's pretty rad from the beginning to the end.

I've also had a good bit of Helium run through my lungs these last few minutes, but I got Sarah to laugh, and at the end of the day it's all worth it to hear that.

Okay sorry, so a small aside about cars, Hooray for the Integra, boo for all the slow pedestrians walking in the middle of my lane that don't glance back until I go by them wrapped up to 7,000 RPM... Nicklaus, you would have been proud of me.

Tuesday I hop on a plane for Fresno, CA, which reminds me that I need to print out that frickin ticket. And then it's 7 days of 110+ degree glory with Nicklaus, Andy, and the Lima Bean Rocket. And come next Friday... Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.

However, at the moment my mind is rampant, no that would imply spontanaeity and that is usually entertaining, my mind is ruled by boredom (see ruled sounds more orderly, and organization=boredom)

So I have a week in California, then a week of work, and then I take that paycheck and make a frickin mad dash for Portland, I can make it in 7 hours if I drive 10 over and only stop for that one gas-up in La Grande.

But Fox will be empty this year, we lost so many good men... Sang Wook Choi, The Black Kid, Firecrotch, S-double 'A'-vedra... Alex, Eric, and Beth were good friends, and Fox isn't going to be the same without them... but I know that someday I'll listen to the radio and hear Eric's voice coming through and then I'll be like, "I knew that guy once" and than I'll be like"Eric, give me free tickets and t-shirts and tell everyone that we're friends" and he'll say some smart-ass remark and then I'll have to stalk and beat him with a rubber hose. (True story Eric, if you're reading this) And my black kid is leaving, but at least I'll be able to say what I've always yearned to say, "I'm not racist, my roommate in college was black" giving me instant immunity. And Sang, well I hope someday I'll get to see him in his uniform. And then Beth, well actually I guess it's okay if I never saw Beth again... always trying to analyze me and get inside my head and "Get to know Bradley" Dear Lord that was creepy, hahaha.

Completely off on another tangent: I was driving home from work and I passed a stop sign way out in the country, 5 miles west of Jerome, honestly the last mile road before the countryside turns to desert, and someone had spray-painted "W-A-R" on the sign so it read "STOP WAR," and I was thinking, what stupid inconsiderate prick would do that? Our country has no patriotism anymore... too many different peoples have grouped in the US of A and they still cling to the beliefs they had before the came to this country. And you know what? That's okay, heritage is a great thing, not much understood by me because I don't care about race, I care about my name, because my name is my heritage, my pride. But at some point our nation lost our patriotism, because they became political, they lost trust in our government, they sat up one morning, and thought, "I could do it better." And from then on, nothing but criticism.

I'm not saying I'm not critical, because I am, I like to see rational excuses and logical plans and evidences as much as the next guy, but no matter how bad it gets, I've read the history books, I've watched the news, and it is not fair that those soldiers get a cold reception when they come home. It is not the soldier's fault what happens, they are trying as best as they can with the orders they are given. Those guys are putting their lives in danger, and if we don't care, than they start wondering why should they even try? Nobody cares about them, in fact people are even against them. My great-uncle was a Medic in Vietnam, he saw some messed up stuff, but he saved lives, he put his life at risk to protect others, to help others, he was a hero, and he deserved nothing less than a hero's welcome home, as they all did. And where some didn't, I believe that is one of the biggest injustices... I don't know... seeing anti-War protests, demonstrators, and propaganda, it just burns me up inside, I feel let down, I love this nation.

My ancestor came here with the hopes that his family would have a better life, and I believe he gave me that. There are few days when I don't miss my grandfather, how tall that man was, in height and character, and I remember that with one less Paulin on this beautiful Earth, I'm just going to have to dig in with both hands and work for both of us. He gave me a strong back so I could deal with life's larger burdens. And someday it's going to come time to see how much I can really take, how much I can lift without falling, and I pray to God that when it comes I'm strong enough that my Grandpa watching down doesn't see my steps falter.

I was born blue collar, and when I die, I hope I leave this pride and this strength in some strong sons and beautiful daughters.

And that's where I'll stop.

3 comments:

Whatafreak said...

Actually, as far as the heat goes, it won't be that hot here when you are here. 91 on Tuesday when you get here is going to be positively pleasant!

The war thing. How sad is our country? I don't think that we should have gone to Iraq, but dammit, we went. I consider myself a fairly eloquent individual, and I do not have words to express the amount of respect I have for anyone in the armed forces. The last thing we should do is make a plan to pull out of Iraq. We may as well just plan a terrorist attack...

I also believe we should let Israel do their own thing over there with Hezbollah. Israel is fine, they are more than capable at this point. We should only step in if they start to get into trouble and need our help.

Blue collar FTW!

Anonymous said...

Bradley,

You are an amazing man and I'm so proud of you.

I love you hon.

simplyhaskell said...

good blog, buddy. i totally agree.

and instead of protesting, i'll just go write a nasty letter to the president.