Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Worst Day in Memory

Nicklaus and Andy, you are the only two people that fully realize what I am about to explain.

"It's too stressful." Is what Nick said when I asked him why he quit driving for my dad. And I fully understood. Remember when Mike used to walk into his room after getting beaten at MLB 2K6 for the 10th time in a row on the easy setting and start throwing stuff at all the walls and making alot of noise? Well somedays, I feel like doing the same thing.

The day starts fine, nothing wrong, everything is boring and smooth. And then the problems start. We were supposed to be done chopping, Steve was supposed to take over, but he broke down again, so we get our chopper out into the field and we turn it on and we blow out the fuse for the header controls. Okay, we replace the fuse, and then blow it again. Chopper is out of commission for now. Steve's chopper is running again so we go again, I load and head into the pit, I back up to the pile hit the PTO switch and... nothing. PTO doesn't engage. Suck. I call my dad and he drives up and after messing with the wiring for the PTO he finally gets it running again, the power wire had a break in it so we fixed it. We thought good, problem solved. We back the truck up to the pile again and it starts unloading and then the gate starts coming off with the load. Crap! We turn off the PTO and slowly drive away from the pile. The gate has sheared off all but the bottom bolt on the side of the gat, it's barely hanging on the passenger side. We grab the loader and nudge it back into place, the loader shuts off and the loader starts rolling backwards. No brakes or steering while the engine isn't running. And it starts rolling straight backward right into my dad's pickup. Are you kidding me? What else can go wrong honestly? So after a long string of obscenities we grab the ladder and use the come-along and get it back into place so we can set a second bolt in it. Just enough so we can get it unloaded and driven back to park it. And that is how the day ended... friggin a load of crap.

I... hate it. It's friggin stressful. you are constantly worried about breaking it or something happening... and it sucks.

It's days like these that I wish I hadn't come back home. You know what Nick? It is stressful, but I didn't want you to quit because misery loves company, and once you left I didn't have anyone to sit around and talk about how bad life sucked with anymore.

I'm pissed off all day because it's dirty, I smell like the frickin dairy, It's hot, I have a headeache because it's so frickin bright that it's like the surface of the sun, and I'm tired. I've been driving for 9 hours and my back hurts, and my legs hurt, and my arms are tired of cranking that wheel, I just want to shoot someone.

Such is life... or mine at least.

3 comments:

Whatafreak said...

Only too well do I know those kind of days. Which truck were you driving? The whole gate thing coming off with the load is exactly what happened to me when I was driving. I don't remember, but I think I was in the old automatic. Chin up, man. From my limited experience, those kind of days are few, but also memorable. I hate to make you feel bad, but I was laughing because I know exactly how you felt while I was reading your post.

SlowTEC said...

I know you did, that's why I named you and Nick at the beginning. Yeah it was the old automatic.

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»